Sunday 21 November 2010

Work Experience


This year I have to try and get some work experience placements. This experience will be invaluable as I will be able to get an understanding of what to expect in the work place and in the industry I wish to work in. Getting work experience will also help with acquiring new techniques, advice and more importantly contacts. It is said that it is not what you know, but who you know.

At the moment I am staying in contact with The Senate, a small visual effects company/ studio based in Twickenham. It has been involved in several productions including Kick Ass(2010), StarDust(2007), 10,000BC(2008), and 28 Weeks Later(2007). I have been able to get in contact with The Senate and hopefully I will be able to organise some work experience during the Christmas holidays. I already attempted to organise an earlier work experience slot during the Summer holidays but unfortunately they were far too busy and were inundated with work with imminent deadlines.


Speaking of work experience, I did manage to acquire some work back in September. It wasn't really work experience but rather a freelance job. It was my first paid job within the Industry I hope to work in. I heard Ubisoft were looking for a conceptual artist to do some concept designs. I sent them an email saying that I was interested and I sent them a few examples of my work. I was elated that I managed to get the job despite being in competition with other professional artists. The pay was quite low, however, I was more concerned about getting myself noticed by people in the creative/ entertainment industry. The pay was reasonable in my opinion considering I was still in college and that this was my first paid job in a field I really wanted to pursue. Up until now I had only been involved in unpaid work experience such as Harry Potter and Clash of the Titans. So needless to say this was very big and important to me.

When I had finished the work, I sent them the first invoice on the 9th of September 2010. They stated that they were very pleased with the work we had given them, and that they were "excited" by the developments I had made. However it is coming to the end of November and I still have not been paid for my work. I have sent a few emails to prompt them that the contract has not yet been honoured, and I am hoping that these messages will speed the process along.


No comments:

Post a Comment