Saturday 2 April 2011

Character Modeling


I have been learning to model a character in 3d using maya. So far I have been used to creating inorganic hard surface models ie buildings and vehicles etc. Character modeling is slightly more complex because I am now dealing with organic shapes which are harder to manipulate in maya. Also I have to pay attention to its topology, making sure that all the polygons have four sides each. This is essential because eventually this character has to be rigged and ultimately animated so the character model itself has to be correctly modeled for everything to work smoothly. I have never attempted character modeling and this is entirely new to me. I have had to work from scratch using online tutorials and advice from fellow students. There have been times where I have gotten stuck but I have managed to overcome these obstacles through perseverance and trial and error. Overall I am pleased with the results.


The hands and the head were probably the most complicated features to model, but now that I have don't them I think I know the techniques and principles well enough to repeat the process and model more characters in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment