Tuesday 7 December 2010

UV Mapping Maya


The images below show the progression and development of my learning when UV Mapping a 3D scene. I have never UV Mapped before so this method is still quite basic. I have used a couple of online tutorials from digital tutors in order acquire a better understanding of the way UV Mapping works. This scene consists of a vinyl record player which will feature as one of the first establishing close up shots of my animation short.

UV Mapping is necessary as it is a method of creating a map for the textures, so that they can behave correctly on a 3D model.

Above is a finished render of the textures. It is clear in this image that the textures are no longer stretched and look is believable and effective. I am very pleased with this render. It looks realistic and the detail of the textures are clearly visible. I have applied a bump map to enhance the textures so that the details react to the light in the scene.

I have applied a checkered texture to all the components as a temporary test in order to locate any texture stretches.

Above is the UV editor which I shall use to complete the UV mapping process so that the textures look even better. This graph shows the layout of the UVs. This graph can be used to edit the size and look of the applied textures.

Above I have applied a planar map to the record model so that the texture is projected using the correct axis, thus the texture is no longer stretched.

Above is the actual low resolution test render. The textures are still severely stretched. This is not what I want for the final result.

Initially I attempted to apply a wood texture to the vinyl record player frame and a texture to the record without using the UV Mapping editor. Here the consequence of this is that the textures appear stretched and undesirable.

No comments:

Post a Comment